* I am a school librarian. In every possible way.
* I am married to a wonderful man named Wes. When we met (blind date, 1996) he was female and I was a staunch lesbian. Over time, he realized he was really supposed to have been born a boy and I realized I was really attracted to trans-folk. So it all worked out rather well.
* I have a 17 year old stepson. My husband is his mother. Yes. I refer to him on this blog as GMB (Gargantuan Man Boy). He is with us summers and other school breaks and on his birthday.
* Wes and I both suffer from major, chronic depressive disorders. We have both been free of any catastrophic episodes (and mental hospitals) for more than 4 years, but still – sometimes our house is BIG fun.
* I have always wanted to be a mother. Using donor sperm, I started trying to get pregnant in May of 2005. I got my first positive blood test on July 27, 2006 – this was a result of my seventh IUI cycle, my second on Clomid with trigger shots. I used an HCG booster 6dpo to keep my progesterone up (I had a luteal phase defect). On August 29th, when I thought I was 9 weeks pregnant and after seeing the heartbeat the week before, I went for my first OB appt and found out that the baby had died around 8 weeks, 2 days – about 3 days after I saw it. I had a Manual Vacuum Aspiration the next day which was hideous but quick. Pathology report indicated a triploidy – 3 complete sets of chromosomes. Our first try back after the disaster worked. Beckett Ace was born August 15, 2007.
* Since we started trying to conceive, 39 of our friends and close acquaintances have conceived or given birth. 42 babies in 3 years. Since 2002, when our personal baby boom began, 72 babies have been born or conceived to those around us.
* My mother died when I was 20 years old. She had cervical cancer. She hadn’t had a pap smear in more than three years. Please visit your gynecologist regularly.
* We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. For many years we had pet rats, too, but they have very short lifespans and broke our hearts. If we don’t end up having a baby, I shudder to think how many animals we will acquire.
* I have a pain disorder/syndrome called fibromyalgia. I am in at least some pain nearly all the time.
* We both love to travel. Wes loves glaciers and animals and his dream vacations are Antarctica, Patagonia, Galapagos, and Kangaroo Island (Australia). My dream vacation is a World Cruise.
* I am frequently bitchy, bitter, angry, moody, cranky, or whiny. It’s why you love me.